Greeting

Isabelle Bryer's Blog About Art, Artists and Creativity

Monday, October 24, 2011

Savage Surrealism: The Art of Roland Topor

As a little kid growing up in France I had little exposure to art or culture. I was however, without knowing it, already interested in drawing and painting. French television at this time had only 3 channels (I don’t think they have that many more today) and I remember clearly being shocked and intrigued when artist Roland Topor started showing his strange surrealist style in TV programs for adults and even for kids. I think it left on my mind a strong impression and influences my taste in art to this day. Roland Topor was a painter, an illustrator, a writer and a filmmaker and created the most bogus and fascinating kid’s program I have ever seen called “Telechat”. Here you can see his portrait and a sample of his illustrations:














There is not very much on the net about him but here are a couple of links. One a Facebook page and the other on Wikipedia.

3 comments:

  1. Wast' he the illustrator of the film la planete sauvage. I rented it from netflix recently and was amazed at how creative and bizarre it was even by today's standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. The hand one is esp funny. What an inventive illustrator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Corine, he was the director of "La planete Sauvage". And do you remember "le gluon du telephone" in Telechat?
    If you got a chance to look him up Aubrey, you will see how truly bizarre his work was.

    ReplyDelete